Sunday 15 May 2011

I am 10 weeks away from moving to Afghanistan

I was born in Kabul but my family moved to Russia when I was 4 years old. 

I have my earliest memories in Russia- climbing trees, playing football, snow fighting and getting lost in the woods in search of adventure.  

My family lived in Moscow for a year and eventually moved to Minsk (Belarussia)-in total we spent 8 years in the two countries.

In 2000 we moved again-this time we settled in London. I came to the country without knowing a single word of English-but eventually I picked up everything I needed to pass my GCSE's and get my A-levels. By this time I had made a decision that I was going to become an international correspondent and travel the world in search of the untold stories.

Because I made this decision when I was 14 years old I was able to dedicate all my spare time in gaining as much experience as possible. I particularly enjoyed writing feature stories and filming news packages.

Going to university to complete a history degree was also part of the plan-i enjoy history and wanted to give myself the opportunity to discover more about the subject but I knew what I was going to do next.

While working full time at a school I started my NCTJ course in newspaper.

I finished the course recently. My next plan is to move to Afghanistan to work as a journalist.

I am 10 weeks away from moving-although I have not got my ticket I will be in Kabul at the end of July.

I will be using this blog to keep you updated with the developments of my move.

At the moment my priorities are to get my tickets and organise my leaving party.

3 comments:

  1. Mojda! This is fantasticaclly exciting, moving, surprising...I am proud of you. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! i am very excited getting a little bit overwhelmed as i just realised how soon it is going to be-how are you? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 Weeks!? Well, I hope you have an amazing time. I always knew you were made of the special stuff!

    ReplyDelete